Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Lazy Daisy Cake


I first tried this cake when visiting my friend Deb and it has since become a favourite. It's one of those cakes that's good at any time of day - even for breakfast! While the topping is sinfully rich, the cake itself quite plain. I like this recipe because I'm basically lazy and it's a melt and mix cake that is very easy to make and is almost foolproof. The worst I've ever done is over or under cook it but it has never been inedible. I usually only have non fat milk in the house which works fine but if you do use cream in the topping it gives a much more caramel-like result. If you google Lazy Daisy cake you'll find many variations on the recipe such as oatmeal in the cake mixture or nuts in the topping. On Cooks.com alone there are 39 different recipes. My recipe makes a 9x13x2" pan but if you want to halve the recipe try this version from Allrecipes.com

Lazy Daisy Cake

Ingredients
4 eggs
2 cups white sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla essence (extract)
2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
60g butter (1/4 cup)

Topping
1 and 1/2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
150 g butter (3/4 cup), melted
1/2 cup milk or cream
2 cups thread (flaked) coconut

Method
Preheat oven to 180 C/350 F
In a mixing bowl, beat eggs, sugar and vanilla until thick - about 4 minutes
Combine flour, baking powder and salt and add to egg mixture
Beat until just combined
In a saucepan, bring milk and butter to a boil, stirring constantly (I microwave mine)
Add to batter and beat until combined (batter will be runny like a pancake batter)
Pour into a greased and paper lined 18x28 cm (9x13x2") baking pan
Bake for about 35-40 minutes or until cake tests done
Combine topping ingredients
Spread over warm cake
Place under grill (broiler) until lightly browned (watch it in case it burns!)

3 comments:

Lis said...

This looks incredibly good! The topping reminds me of the frosting on a German Chocolate cake, which I adore. The combination of caramel flavor and coconut is heavenly- will DEFINITELY try this, regardless of Hubbs' dislike of coconut. He can go rut around the pantry for his peanut butter cookies while I have this. :D

Deb R said...

Oh, I haven't made this in ages and now I want to! I need to see if I have any coconut and put it on the shopping list if I don't. Yum!

Anonymous said...

yum! and Yay! she's back! :)