Wednesday, November 08, 2006

What American Accent Do You Have?

My friend Deb lurves her quizzes and she recently issued this challenge: "I'd be curious what the results would be for someone outside the US taking that quiz, since that person obviously wouldn't actually have any American accent. I wonder what kind the quiz maker would think they had based on their responses. Hhhhmmm... Any of my non-US friends game to try it and tell me your result?".

Well here are my results and I am not really surprised at how they've come out. When we lived in the US and my husband was on a business trip to Rochester, New York with some colleagues from Kentucky, the New Yorkers had trouble with the Southern accents but could understand him just fine. Three years away wasn't enought time for me to develop even a hint of a Southern accent which was a great disappointment to me. I guess I didn't try too hard to change because everyone around me thought my Kiwi accent was charming.

What American accent do you have?
Your Result: The Northeast

Judging by how you talk you are probably from north Jersey, New York City, Connecticut or Rhode Island. Chances are, if you are from New York City (and not those other places) people would probably be able to tell if they actually heard you speak.

Philadelphia
The Inland North
The South
The Midland
Boston
The West
North Central
What American accent do you have?
Take More Quizzes

Now it's your all's turn!

3 comments:

Lis said...

Okay so I am from the US but I wanted to test it to see if it really works. ha! It does.. I ended up Midland which is correct.. kinda - it specified southern Ohio, and I don't know why? I'm in northern ohio but pretty damn close to Pennsylvania and Pennsylvania was listed so therefore yes it was correct and jeez how long can I go on about this? I need lunch. bye! :D

Anonymous said...

yeah, not so much.... i am completely a west coast girl. i took the test three times and got three different answers. first it told me i was Midland, then it said Inland North then it said Philidelphia.

Deb R said...

Ok Morv, next time you visit I will make it my mission to teach you to speak one sentence in a true US southern drawl and you can teach me to speak one sentence in Kiwi! :-)