Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Not my New Year's Resolution

I don’t set myself New Year’s resolutions because as you know I seldom finish what I start. However, I’ve set myself a few challenges this year and so far I’m doing well.

Challenge #1 was to go to an RPM or “spinning” class. If you watch Men in Trees you'll remember that Marin was horrified to find that Elmo didn't offer spinning class. For the uninitiated it’s an exercise class on stationery bicycles where the instructor tells you when to dial up the resistance on your bike, lean on your handlebars, or get up out of your seat to simulate a hill climb or a race. Supposedly it’s the equivalent of a 20km ride and can burn up to 900 calories. I’d done a class years ago and all I remembered was that it was very hard work. This time I went along with a positive attitude, knowing I was a little fitter and that whatever happened I could just go at my own pace. Unlike the stationary bikes in the gym with their large cushy seats, the RPM bikes are more along the lines of a road bike and have teeny weeny seats. Not only are they small but they are hard – very hard. You are provided with a gel pad to cover the seat but I still felt like I was sitting on a very very small brick. Did I mention the seats were hard? The phrase "Lorks a Lordy! My bottom's on fire" springs to mind and just thinking about it now makes me wince. They tell me it gets better the more you do it but I’m not convinced.

Challenge #2 is still ongoing. The Manawatu Striders run a Super Seven Series each year which is a 7 week series of 7km (four mile) walks through the lovely gardens at Victoria Esplanade and around the streets of Palmerston North. The idea is to try to beat your own time each week. The first week my friend and I made it round in 1 hour 7 minutes (we forgot to count the seconds) and on week two we slashed an impressive 6 minutes off our time. Week 3 there was a bit of a head wind (well that’s my excuse anyway) and we only managed to cut our time by a minute and a half. I heard there was a record number of attendees that night – approximately 1,000 people. Week 4 we shaved yet more time off and completed the course in 58 minutes and on week 5 we warmed up with a walk for the first km and then walked and ran alternate kms. Sounds impressive but we only took 3 minutes off our time which means we don't really run very much faster than we can walk! People bring their kids (in strollers or on foot or sometimes in backpacks) and their dogs. There are downsides to both - call me miss whiney-pants if you must but I can really do without being downwind of a walker with warm and noisome dog doody in their pocket and recently I had to resist a strong urge to shove… er I mean…..nudge a young rollerblader who was travelling in the opposite direction from the walkers. Seriously though it's a fun, well organised event with the added bonus of spot prizes and a sausage sizzle afterwards. Between us my friend and I have won three spot prizes. The past few weeks there have been giveaways of packs of yoghurt by the kind people at Yoplait - I think I will have to search out some baking recipes to use it up. Perhaps something exciting for Muffin Monday.


Tonight was the penultimate event and because I'd donated blood earlier in the day and it was an extremely warm evening, we decided we'd take a nice leisurely stroll and enjoy the scenery.

Starting off...


The duck pond...


Pretty flowers - the light was kinda weird in the shadows and I don't remember the tree trunk looking purple...


A swan plant and monarch caterpillars - yes they're there - it isn't just a picture of a tangle of greenery...


More pretty flowers - I'd love to say that the misty look was on purpose but it was a lucky accident...


The river...


Hope you enjoyed my walk.

2 comments:

Deb R said...

It looks so nice and warm. Sigh....

Lis said...

Fabulous pictures.. am so jealous of your weather right now. I picked out the caterpillar right off! hehe

Really enjoyed this morning - looking forward to our next chat.

xoxo