Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Hay Hay it's Donna Day #10 Cheesecakes

The prodigious Peabody won the hosting rights to the lastest round of HHDD and chose cheesecake as the theme.

I am so indecisive and I'm such a procrastinator that I usually miss deadlines by the time I have selected my recipe. I knew that I wanted a baked cheesecake because I didn't want to mess with gelatine but other than that I could have gone in any direction. I thought I was onto a good thing by asking my work pals to choose and there were a few interesting contenders; a Russian fudge cheesecake or a baked cheesecake with caramel apple topping - both from Cuisine magazine or raspberry and milk chocolate cheesecake from Taste magazine. But then, as fate would have it, the April Taste magazine arrived in my mailbox last week and on the cover was a picture of the cutest little cheesecakes you've ever seen.

Due to copyright I can't share the recipe here but you can check it out online in April by going to Taste and searching for cheesecake. I can tell you though that the cheesecakes contained all the usual suspects - cookie crumb base (in this case ginger flavoured), cream cheese, sugar, eggs, vanilla, lemon rind and of course raspberries. The swirl idea is a great way to improvise and I imagine that a wee dollop of chocolate fudge sauce or caramel sauce would be an interesting variation. In real life the cheesecakes didn't look so yellow but hey I'm a crap photographer - get over it.


I'm still on a healthy eating kick and didn't dare try any of the cheesecake (OK so I might have licked the bowl) so I brought it in to work to share. There were a a few cheesecakes left over I said to one gal who had missed out during the day that she should take a couple home and share one with her husband. Let's just say he didn't get to try any - I guess they must have been good.

7 comments:

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Raspberry and cheesecake just has to be good.

Lis said...

Aww I think they are adorable! And GO YOU! for staying strong and not eating one (or 12 like I'd do). I love raspberry swirled in just about everything, so I can't imagine these not tasting wonderful. =)

Brilynn said...

You have more restrain than I do! Love the swirls.

Freya said...

I love the little silver cases! A great idea!

Barbara said...

NIce idea to serve them as individual little tarts. Thanks for participating.

Elle said...

So pretty with the raspberry swirl. You certainly have more will power than I do. I would have had to have just one.

Alpineberry Mary said...

I love that pretty swirl! And miniature is always cute too.