Monday, August 13, 2007

Morven's World of Cake - The Answers

Now that Blogger is playing nice with me and I can edit my HTML again here are the answers to my quiz. Sorry to have kept you waiting.

The winners of my little brain teaser competition were Brilynn and Peabody and a little somethin' somethin' will probably be winging its way to Lis and Barbie2Be as well.

1. Who is attributed to the quote “Let them eat cake”?
The answer I was looking for was Marie Antoinette. I asked who is “attributed to the quote”. However, it is widely agreed that someone else said it. Check out an opinion on it here

2. What is the name of the main actor in the recent movie “Layer Cake”?
Daniel Craig

3. Who painted “Still Life with Cake”?
Most people said Raphaele Peale but the picture I showed was by Pablo Picasso. You can see the Raphaele Peale picture at The Met in New York or check out Pablo's work below.


4. What is the French word for cake?
Gateau

5. Who made the world’s biggest cookie?
This was a bit of a trick question for all you Googlers out there. A New Zealand company called Cookie Time made the world's biggest Cookie in April 1986.

Cookie Time was put firmly on the international map by baking the World ’s Biggest Cookie - a giant chocolate chip creation covering an area of 487.15m² (or 5,243.6 sq ft!)... now, more than ten years on, Cookie Time are still hold the official Guinness World Record. In 2003, American company Immaculate Baking Co. set about trying to break the record by baking a 100ft diameter cookie (Cookie Time’s was 81ft; 24.9 metres in diameter). At the time it looked like Americans might have done it - it certainly looked like one big pile of cookie dough! But as it turned out, they failed in their attempt to gain the official title. Cookie Time are still officially Guinness World Record holders for baking the World’s Biggest Cookie!

6. Who is the patron saint of pastry chefs?
St Honoré
I note that Taste magazine has a recipe for Gateau St Honoré in the latest issue. No disprespect but it is not as pretty as the creations by the Daring Bakers.

7. If you were eating a mooncake what would you be celebrating?
Mid Autumn Festival aka Moon Festival/ August Moon Festival/ Lantern Festival

8. What ingredients characterise a tres leches cake?
Evaporated milk, condensed milk, whole milk (or cream)

9. Black Forest cakes contain cherries; what else is associated with the Black Forest?
Cuckoo clocks, fairy tales or honey.
Most people misread this question and thought I was talking about what was in a Black Forest Cake which of course would include whipped cream and chocolate.

10. Thanks for the lovely suggestions of what kind of cake I might like - the lemon cheesecake with a swirl of olallieberry jam sounds delicious and the lemon buttermilk breakfast cake and the sour cream chocolate cake and Dorie's banana cake - wait, let me wipe the drool from my keyboard. However, if I had my pick of any cake it would be my mum’s fruit cake. I'm stunned that this kind of cake is frequently the butt of jokes in America. What's wrong with you people??? Mum makes an absolutely gigantic one at Christmas time and cuts it into quarters to give it away. I could eat it for breakfast, lunch AND dinner. My mother-in-law makes a pretty decent fruitcake too. Hers is quite different and contains only three basic ingredients – dried fruit, orange juice and flour plus some essences.

Mary's Fruit Cake

Ingredients
1 kg/2.2 pounds or 35 oz dried fruit
2 cups orange juice
2 1/2 cups self raising flour
1 teaspoon mixed spice
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1 teaspoon lemon essence
1 teaspoon almond essence

Method

Soak the fruit in orange juice overnight.
The next day add self raising flour spice and essences as desired.
Preheat the oven to 160 C
Pour into a greased and lined cake pan and bake 1 1/2 hrs 160 deg. then 1 hour 140 degrees (not fan bake)
Enjoy!

Postscript: I have seen a similar recipe with slightly different proportions. it calls for 2 cups flour, 2 tsp baking powder, 1 kg fruit mix and 2 cups OJ. The baking time for that cake (in a 24 cm/approx 10" round tin) is only 1 hour at 150 degrees C.

4 comments:

Peabody said...

For the record I did get Pablo Picasso!

Lis said...

hahaaha I gotta go back and reread my answers.. but I think I got several wrong? lol

Well.. yer fruity.. that's why you like fruitcake. :P

Excellent quiz, I had fun looking up the answers (even though they were wrong)!

xoxo

Anonymous said...

the fruit cake sounds yummy but are the quantities quite right?

1 kg/ ½ a pound mixed dried fruit

1 kilo is more like 2 pounds I think?

Kay

Morven said...

Yes of course you are right Kay. I never was good at maths. The recipe has now been amended.
Thank you