Wednesday, April 28, 2010

All the Single Ladies


Every time I hear Beyonce's song All The Single Ladies I can't help but think of that episode of Glee where the football team danced along to it. Too funny.

Cooking for one doesn't need to be boring or unhealthy. When hubby is away I usually take the opportunity to make myself something that he wouldn't care for - like something with blue cheese or lots of shrimp or scallops.

We recently went to a party which had an American theme and we enjoyed some wonderful Jambalaya. Thoughts of that delicious meal inspired me to create my own jambalaya/gumbo type dinner. It's by no means authentic but very tasty.. and did I mention healthy?

Louis1ana inspired Shrimp and Sausage Rice Bowl
Serves 2

Ingredients
1 medium brown onion, chopped
1/2 large green pepper, chopped
2-3 stalks celery, chopped
Oil or cooking spray
1 can chopped tomatoes in juice/puree
1 cup brown rice
2 cups chicken stock, preferably homemade
Oregano
Bay leaf
Garlic salt
Black pepper
Smoked paprika
Smoked sausage, sliced as desired (I used a bier stick)
Shrimp
Parsley, sliced spring onion or some basil to garnish

Method
Spray the bowl of a rice cooker with cooking spray or drizzle in a little oil
Add the holy trinity of onion, pepper and celery
Cook for a little, stirring occasionally, until the onion is translucent
Add your sausage
Dump in the tomatoes
Add the seasonings
Add the rice and chicken stock
Put the lid on and cook until the rice is almost done
Add your shrimp
Adjust seasoning - I found I had to add some hot sauce and a dash of Montreal Steak Seasoning which is one of my currently pantry favourites
Garnish as desired
Enjoy

1 comment:

Esme said...

This looks quite delicious. Morven-you should get her book-I have been doing her meals and her cardio/weight lifting and lost 4 lbs in 2 weeks.

Where in the US are you coming?

I had friends here from Australia and they brought me tim tams-I hid them in the closet and my husband found them -it was quite funny.