Friday, September 22, 2006

Marmite - Love it or Hate it?

In my BBM box of goodies for Lis of La Mia Cucina I included that "world famous in New Zealand" food item - Marmite. It's one of those things that you usually either love or hate and are seldom ambivalent about. I have tried to foist it on various American friends and so far no-one has taken a liking to it. Guess it's one of those cultural things that you really have to grow up with to appreciate - just like I don't care for grits! Lis told me that she was a little scared about trying the marmite (and was going to make her hubbs try it first - how evil is that?) because it looks so nasty. I don't blame her. Marmite is a dark brown, almost black paste with a slightly salty, yeasty smell. No surprise about the yeasty smell because that's what it's made of.

Marmite and Chippie Sandwich - the great Kiwi afterschool snack

Very fresh, soft white bread. (I'm normally a whole wheat girl but for this sammie it must be white)
Butter
Marmite
Plain, salted potato chips

Butter both pieces of bread - butter all the way to the edges so the chips will stick!!
THINLY schmear the marmite on one piece of bread
Top generously with potato chips
Smoosh together firmly
Hold on tight as you bite your sandwich or else all the chips will fall out

For Lis's benefit I demonstrate below the construction of the abovementioned sandwich. Note the deathgrip on the sandwich in the final photo.





Check out the Marmite website for all you'll ever need to know about this curious kiwi delicacy.

5 comments:

Lis said...

hahahhaaa!! The death grip and that look on your face is priceless!

I appreciate the step by step and promise I will try it, I bought Lays chips especially for this sammie and white bread too!

And yes.. Hubbs will take the first bite. :P

barbie2be said...

i love marmite on toast with a slice of tomato. :)

Kristen said...

deb blogged and linked you today! you've been found - ahhhh i get to sit down to a good read :)

so, what i wonder is this....is marmite like vegimite? b/c i've tried vegimite and was not so much a fan...i'll assume that marmite is ever so much better.

Anonymous said...

Nice demo Morv!! I enjoyed one of these sammies just yesterday!!

barbie2be said...

ironically, i received a tube of vegemite in my BBM package from Australia. :)