Saturday, March 15, 2008

Scroggin Cookies

I promised I'd post a recipe soon and here it is....... I came across this cookie recipe in a Healthy Food Guide Magazine and thought I'd try them out in my quest for a non-crunchy cookie that might please my husband. I made a couple of adaptations, one of which was completely unintentional because I didn't read the recipe properly but they still turned out OK. They were particularly delicious soon after coming out of the oven because the chocolate was all gooey and melty. As with all sweet things, moderation of consumption is the key. It's a bit difficult with this recipe because the uncooked dough is very moreish and I'm surprised I had any left to bake!


Scroggin Cookies
Adapted from Alison and Simon Holst’s School Lunches and After School Snacks
Makes about 40

Ingredients
200 g butter (7oz OR 1 and 5/8 sticks OR 13 Tablespoons)
¼ cup peanut butter (I used cashew butter)
½ cup sugar (I forgot to put this in)
1 cup (packed) brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla or almond essence
1 ½ cups plain flour*
1 tsp baking soda
2 cups rolled oats
1 cup chocolate chips (didn't have any so used coarsely chopped block chocolate - 70% - the good stuff!)
1 cup sultanas (golden raisins) (I used a mixture of sultanas and chopped dried apricots)
½ cup chopped walnuts (didn’t have any so used coconut)
*Use ¼ cup less flour if using instant rolled oats

Method
Heat oven to 180 degrees celsius/ 350 degrees fahrenheit
Mix the butter and the next five ingredients together in a large bowl (that means the nut butter, sugars, eggs and essence)
Stir in the flour and baking soda
Add everything else and mix using a wooden spoon or your hands
Shape with two spoons or put flattened rounds of mixture on a baking paper lined tray and leave space for spreading
Bake in batches for 12 minutes or until lightly browned
Cool on a rack

They didn't spread much and I wonder if they would have spread more if I had the full amount of sugar in them. Hmmm

Made to the actual recipe the nutritional breakdown is:
Energy 622Kj (149cal)
Protein 2.5
Fat 7.6g
- saturated 3.9g
Carbs 17.7g
- sugars 11.7g
Fibre 0.9g (I would have thought there'd be more)
Sodium 65mg
Calcium 20mg
Iron 0.6g

Useless information: Scroggin is the name for the fruit and nut mix that trampers and hikers take with them for quick energy. I guess it's the kiwi equivalent of trail mix.

3 comments:

Peabody said...

Those sound like they are chocked full of wonderful things!

Deb R said...

I'm glad you told us where the name "scroggin" came from because when I saw that, I did a double-take. In hillbilly country scroggin' refers to, um...how shall I put this? It's another word for doing the horizontal mambo. :-)

The cookies sound really good!

Brilynn said...

Sometimes I think I like cookie dough more than the finished product! I could eat a ton of it.